Sustainability at Harvey's Point
Sustainability at Harvey's Point
OUR ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY
We are at a unique stage in our history. Never before have we had such an awareness of what we are doing to the planet, and never before have we had the power to do something about that. Surely we all have a responsibility to care for our Blue Planet. The future of humanity and indeed, all life on earth, now depends on us.” – David Attenborough
As an industry leader, we believe that building a culture around sustainability is our prime duty. The dedicated Harvey’s Point ‘Green Team’ is working tirelessly to improve our environmental practices including energy, single-use plastic and water usage. It means that we are measuring water, energy and waste usage on a monthly basis and trying to reduce consumption, where possible. We were delighted to achieve a Silver Level Award in October 2022. It is a journey, a journey that we are excited to be part of. In 2022, we are focusing on building staff awareness around sustainability. Also, after a careful business practices review, the following actions were taken:
· New aerators were applied to ensure correct water flow in problematic taps
· Shower heads have been changed to be more efficient in line with reducing water flow
· Our Night team are carrying monthly water checks, to ensure that we have no underground leaks
· We are in the process of upgrading our in-house water treatment plant, this will be completed by December 2022
· We encourage our guests to reuse their towels during their stay to help us conserve water.
· All our bulbs have been replaced with LED bulbs, LED lights use about 50 per cent less electricity than traditional incandescent, fluorescent and halogen options, resulting in substantial energy cost savings
· Our kitchen equipment was replaced with energy-efficient appliances, our appliances are less energy-intensive to reduce the amount of electricity used per product
· Light sensors are applied in all less-usage areas, to reduce energy usage
· All fridges were serviced to ensure no air leaks
· We have reviewed our heating system, to maximise efficiency
· We have three new EV car charging points for our guests to use
· We have implemented a suitable segregation system across our hotel, including our guest bedrooms.
· We are currently removing all single-use items in food & beverage outlets such as sugar sachets, jam jars, ketchup and mayo jars etc.
· Reusable branded Harvey’s Point bottles for water were distributed to all team members, to avoid using single-use bottles.
· Cardboard packaging, glass, cans, and plastics are all recycled
· We have created a herb and vegetable garden where chefs and staff can help themselves to fresh produce.
· To support our local community, we do a “The Big Spring Clean” around our local area. Making sure that our location is litter free
It is a long-term journey; our efforts will continue in 2023. Our main goals for next year are:
· Our miniature toiletry bottles with will be replaced with larger refillable bottles, which will significantly reduce a single using plastic wastage.
· Plastic bottled water will be replaced with more eco-friendly solutions.
· We will be reducing final food waste by introducing an in-house bio-digester. This Bio- Digester will turn our food waste into a nutrient-rich soil enhancer.